German children start school aged 6 and usually attend Kindergarten for five mornings a week from age 3 onwards. Daycare facilities for smaller children (6 months to 2.5 years) are usually called Krippe (literally, “crib”). International preschools are increasingly popular due to the large influx of expats to Berlin, and many German residents also prefer bilingual education from early on, so you have English preschools as well as many bilingual German-English programmes. Here is a listing of recommended English or bilingual or international nursery schools or preschools or international schools with a nursery class in Berlin:
- Aufgepasst – a very popular bilingual German – English daycare and Kindergarten for children aged 1 – 5 in Berlin-Wilmersdorf. It helps to preparechildren to enter the Charles Dickens Primary School of Berlin.
- Berlin British School – the official Berlin British school offers a Foundation stage programme and accepts children from as young as 3 years to the nursery.
- Berlin Cosmopolitan School: a bilingual international IB school with an early years department, educating children from 3 – 18. There are two preschool locations and a separate main school location. Their Kindergarten in the Park on Invalidenstrasse takes children from 1 -5.
- Berlin Metropolitan School in Berlin-Mitte has a bilingual kindergarten class for children aged 3 and 4.
- Campus Berlin-Mitte Phorms Education – Phorms is one of the prime chains of private schools in Germany. Their bilingual school in Berlin-Mitte has a nursery department for children aged 2 and over.
- Kita International is located on the campus of Berlin International School in the beautiful neighbourhood of Dahlem. They offer care Monday – Thursday from 7:30 to 17:00 and Friday from 7:30 to 16:30 for 3 – 6 year old children.
- The Montessori Preschool: a very popular English speaking Montessori school near the Grunewald forest, they take 20 children aged 3 – 5 and operate a forest school on some days to provide plenty of outdoors activity for the children.
- Europa-Kindergarten Max und Moritz: this is a bilingual German – English Kindergarten in Schöneberg. It was founded in 1976 as a private nursery school by its head teacher Raffaela Nardi-Nowotnik. The school has six groups which provide care for children of mixed ages, ranging from 1 to 6 years. They offerfull-time, part-time or short-term care.
- Kiga Alegria – a TRILINGUAL English-Spanish-German kindergarten in Berlin-Mitte for children aged 1.5 – 6 years.
This AngloInfo page has a further listing of English or partially English nursery schools in Berlin.