Geneva is attracting more and more expats, particularly from the finance sector, and places in the top international preschools and schools are highly sought after. You may have to try a lot of them to get a space! According to recent statistics, over 50% of children in Geneva attend private creches (< 3 years) or Kindergarten (3 – 6 years). Here’s an overview of recommended preschools and kindergartens in Geneva that are either English speaking or bilingual English and French. I usually advise expats to immerse their little ones in the local language, so don’t exclude local preschools that do not operate in English. Even if you don’t speak French, children at this age will pick it up within weeks, and this broadens your choices considerably. But, if you are set on an international school, here is an overview:
- The Bell One World Nursery School: One World Nursery School Offers a pre-school programme in English designed for children between the ages of 2 and 5. Either morning or afternoon sessions are available. This school emphasises learning through play.
- College du Leman Preschool is a highly academic international school teaching the IB programme up to 18. They have a bilingual French – English preschool class for children from 2 years upwards.
- Geneva Day School is an award-winning bilingual kindergarten with classes for 2 to 5 year olds. They also offer extended care for working parents from 8 to 9am and 3 to 6pm.
- Geneva English School is a British primary school for children aged 3 to 11. It is opening the nursery class from January 2014 onwards and there are still a couple of places left. The schools follows the UK’s National Curriculum but is open to international children.
- International School of Geneva: this bilingual international school accepts children from age 3 upwards. It is one of the main international schools of Geneva. The school has three campuses that offer anglophone, francophone and bilingual programmes respectively.
- La Maison Bleue: Bilingual pre-school with a varied programme using the Montessori method for children aged 2.5 to 6. Class sizes tend to be smaller than at the big international schools. At 4 chemin Huber Saladin, 1290 Versoix. Call 076 440 13 22 for more information.
- The Montessori School Geneva is a small and friendly pre-school based on the philosophy and principles of the Montessori method. It is open to children from 3 to 6 years.